Sam Crowell is professor emeritus at California State University, San Bernardino. He is the founder of the Masters Program in Holistic and Integrative Education and is also a founding member of the Network in Spirituality and Education. Currently, he serves as a doctoral faculty member at Cal State and is an affiliate faculty of the UNESCO Chair for Education for Sustainable Development with the Earth Charter at the UN chartered University for Peace in Costa Rica. Sam is also a faculty of Self-Design Graduate Institute and an invited adjunct professor at St. Michaels College in Vermont.
In this podcast:
- How to create value spaces in an education setting that call forth relationship and sustainability
- The importance of experiential pedagogy that call for students to embody their own deep self
- Using ritual to create educational community aware of sustainability and spirituality
- Teaching at Peace University in Costa Rica as part of the UN Earth Charter
Sam's personal vision is to live a life of love and service. Through his presentations, teaching, writing, and creative projects he aims to facilitate experiences that help others:
- Integrate holistic and open systems perspectives of science, learning, and sustainable culture in their lives and organizations;
- Cultivate practices and perspectives that nourish the inner life and awaken one's personal vision and dreams grounded in loving service;
- Experience spiritual transformation and engagement in the creative arts, nature, and community.
Dr. Crowell writes in the field of education, social change, and personal development where he explores the implications of a trans-modernist, holistic worldview. His books include
- "Emergent Teaching: A Path of Creativity, Significance, and Transformation" with Rowman and Littlefield, 2013.
- "The Re-Enchantment of Learning" with Corwin Press, 1997, 2001.
- "Mindshifts" with Chicago Review Press, 1995, 1999, 2002.
- "Educating Toward a New Cultural Mythology: an Analysis of Three Scientific Metaphors" unpublished.
- “A Global Ethic for an Interconnected World: Toward a Sustainable Future and the Well-Being of All” in progress.
Sam is part of the Fulbright Specialist Program and is the recipient of both the Outstanding Teaching Award and the Outstanding Professional Accomplishments Award.
International Handbook on Holistic Education. Editor, Under contract with Routledge Publishing. Due date 2018.
Lily’s World: A Planetary Vision for a Sustainable Future, In Progress. December, 2018.
Earth Charter Pedagogy: Integrating Peace Education and ESD, Book 1 in an series on Earth Charter Pedagogy, ReEnchantment Press, Kindle e-book. March, 2017.
“Emergent Teaching and ESD,” in Education for Sustainable Development edited by Carla Sabbatini and Damasia Ezcurra. Published by Aique, Buenos Aires, Argentina, due out 2018.
“Becoming One - - Together: The Visible and Non-Visible Nature of Collaboration in Education in International Conversations of Teacher Educators: Collaborations in Education, edited by Mary Jane Harkins, Zhanna Barchuk, and Rupert Collister, 2017.
“The Implications of ESD and the Earth Charter for Teacher Education,” Invited Presentation, University deans and department chairs, Buenos Aires, Argentina, October, 2017.
“Shaping the Future: Educating Through ESD,” Invited Workshop, District Administration, Buenos Aires City School District, Buenos Aires, Argentina, October, 2017.
“Emergent Teaching : Discovering the Algo Mas,” Invited Presentation, San Andres University, Buenos Aires, Argentina, October, 2017.
“Integrating the Earth Charter into ESD Curriculum,” Invited Workshop, Professional developers, Esucelas Verdes Program, Buenos Aires School District, Buenos Aires, Argentina, October, 2017.
*”Earth Charter Forum,” Round Table discussion, International Conference on Holistic Education, University of Southern Oregon, September, 2017.
“Creating Spaces for Transformation,” (with David Reid-Marr) International Conference on Holistic Education, University of Southern Oregon, September, 2017.
“Mindfulness for Educators,” Principal Facilitator, Mindfulness Institute at St. Michael’s College, Colchester, Vermont, July, 2017,
“Using Emergent Teaching for Teacher Development,” Invited Workshop, at the NIVOZ Institute near Utrecht, Netherlands, May, 2017.
*“Earth Charter Notes on Social Transformation” Invited Presentation at an Earth charter event in Amsterdam, Netherlands, May 2017.
“The Theory and Practice of Emergent Teaching: Applications for the Classroom,” Invited Workshop, at the NIVOZ Institute near Utrecht, Netherlands, May, 2017.
“Transformative Learning from an ‘Emergent’ Perspective,” Invited Public Presentation, Utrecht, Netherlands, May, 2017.
*“Introduction to the Earth Charter,” Invited Public Presentation to Indivisible Idyllwild, Feb. 2017.
“ Introduction to the Earth Charter,” Invited Webinar, SDGI faculty, Spring, 2017.
Fulbright Specialist Award – “Ethics and Values for a Sustainable Future: Transformative Learning and the Earth Charter,” A week-long intensive course for the Earth Charter Center for ESD at the University for Peace, Costa Rica, July, 2017.
Online course – “Transformative Learning and ESD: A Holistic Pedagogy Grounded in the Neurosciences,” The Earth Charter Center, University for Peace, Costa Rica, Spring, 2017.
Doctoral Course, “Instructional Leadership and Change,” California State University, San Bernardino, Fall, 2017.
PROFESSIONAL ADVISORY COUNCIL
Invited Advisory Board Member, Teachers College, Columbia University “Collaborative for Spiritual Development: Educating For A Democratic and Ecological Society,” a funded research project and national initiative.
Participated in an Duo-Ethnography with Dr. Rupert Collister on “A Holistic Approach to Teacher Training” to be published 2018.